Thursday, April 20, 2017

Poem LXVIII: Atomic Razor

I will never forget the day
I threw an atomic razor
as we must call it
into Maggie's brain

however I am not the one who threw it
but ancient Greek itself
without even trying
I was the conduit

when it happened 
no one could tell
whether she was laughing
or
 the other thing

but this was the sentence:

δημιουργς τς πόλεως καλείσθω οτος ς ν δικαίως τος νόμους τος πολί̄ταις τιθ.

"Let that one be called the work-meister of the city, he who justly establishes laws for the citizens."


whether it is the word 'demiourgos'
(on the translation 'work-meister
I always insist--but that is my folly)
   or the noble sentiment expressed
   or the grammar itself
that hurls atomic razors
into a mind like hers
no lowly magister
no wizened grammaticus in hall
can ever say

but can only rejoice
to have been present on that day



curi/on      a)to/mikon






No comments:

Post a Comment